In Motion: Bellingham, Poetry, San Juan Islands, Ted Talks

Loading...

Friday, August 3, 2012

Poetry: Walking Up Holly

The Maritime Heritage Park Fountain
and the Whatcom Museum
as seen from W. Holly Street
I
Sidewalk Desert
Walking up Holly Street
Life is alive with the living
Low tide wakes the senses
as mid-day traffic races by

Walk uphill towards Bay Street
Pass three homeless ones who 
wander camel-less like wise kings
searching for The Star

Man with a stroke-limp hobbles by
passing me on the right nods a hello
He fights each step for control
Warm smile in his eyes brings water to mine

A pink knit hat lays on the park lawn
No head wants to claim it theirs
too hot for anything knitted today

Farther up four coats lay out
on the curb like an offering of gortex.
Perhaps a Samaritan placed them
there early before work


II
Tea House Oasis
I walk in the sunshine
I walk in the wind
I walk when it's green
I stop when it's red

Inside the cafe I sip green tea
from a cup with no handles
at a table for six,
occupied by three

Warm tea on a warm day
I am comforted by the branches
moving in the wind outside
blown by Earth's cool breath








No comments:

Post a Comment